Yep, this is my live video. When I went to do my video on letting go of perfection, this is what happened. I had to let go, what else could I do.
Perfection is an unrealistic construct of our culture that makes us believe that somewhere in this universe there is something that is perfect and we are able to recreate it. With a more personal perspective, we look to what we do, have, or wish to become as a journey to perfection. Perfection is not about the journey, it is about the destination. Life is about the journey. So if you are focused on perfection, you are not living a life that is full and filled with purpose.
What is perfection NOT?
- Perfection is not someone else’s idea of you, your life, or your business. The challenge is we give our power away when we look at someone else’s life and think, I will never have that, I can never be that good, I can’t afford it, etc. It is not yours, stop envying things others have.
Who gets to define perfection?
- You do. Your goals to get to your perfection are set by you and are influenced by what you think other people expect. If you set your goals to your own standards and forget what other people think, then you can create a journey that is in line with what you truly want.
Why do we do this?
- Because we want to belong. It is our natural state to want to be a part of a family/pack/group. We want to be accepted, understood, welcomed, respected, and loved. To do this, we look for ways to look and act like the people we wish to be around. There is nothing wrong with being liked by them unless you expect to be exactly like them.
Is it achievable?
- Some goals may be achievable, but they are never sustainable when they are not yours. If you are not totally passionate about doing the work you will lose the motivation to keep going when it gets difficult or boring. Remember, even the stars eventually burn out and go dark and they ARE doing what they are supposed to do.
What is better?
- Work towards the goals that align with your purpose.
- Stop judging yourself on your perceived idea of perfection and measure your actual accomplishments.
- Celebrate what you have achieved. Evaluate what has not worked and re-adjust your plan.
- Surround yourself with amazing people that you align with, that can see your brilliance and will celebrate your accomplishments with you.
Want more insight into running a business like the successful entrepreneur you are? Check out my book Entrepreneur Awakening – Making the Move from Employee to Business Owner.